Molten Chocolate Cakes
- Generously butter eight 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups. For filling, in a small saucepan combine 1 cup chocolate pieces, whipping cream, and 1 tablespoon butter. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours or until mixture reaches a fudgelike consistency.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small saucepan combine 3/4 cup chocolate pieces and 1/2 cup butter. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 5 minutes. Beat in flour and slightly cooled chocolate-butter mixture. Spoon enough batter into each ramekin to measure 1 inch in depth.
- Divide chilled filling into eight portions. Working quickly, use your hands to roll each portion into a ball. Place a ball of filling on top of the batter in each ramekin; do not allow the filling to touch the sides of the ramekins. Spoon the remaining batter into ramekins, spreading over balls of filling.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand for 10 minutes. Using a knife, loosen cakes from sides of ramekins. If desired, dust with unsweetened cocoa powder. If desired, invert onto dessert plates and serve with small scoops of ice cream. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
To Make Ahead:
Prepare as directed through Step 4. Cover and chill until ready to bake or for up to 4 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Molten Chocolate Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 444 kcal cal.,
- 30 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 141 mg chol.,
- 158 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 33 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet