Molasses Spice Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F degrees. Grease and lightly flour three 8x2-inch round cake pans. Set aside. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and cloves; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar; beat until well mixed. Beat in eggs until fluffy. Beat in molasses on low speed.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after every addition just until combined. Divide the batter evenly into prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on rack.
- To assemble the three layer cake, place one layer on a serving plate. Spoon about 3/4 cup of the blueberry jam over this layer, allowing it to flow down the side. Repeat with remaining layers and remaining jam. Sprinkle with lemon peel.
Blueberry Jam Compote
- In a large saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in 2 cups of the blueberries, the orange juice, molasses, and brandy. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in remaining blueberries Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Cool slightly.
- To store, cover and chill for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Facts (Molasses Spice Cake)
- Per serving:
- 553 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 79 mg chol.,
- 309 mg sodium,
- 100 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 58 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet