- Line a large baking sheet with heavy foil; grease foil. Set aside. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the chopped dark chocolate.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl combine the remaining dark chocolate and 2 teaspoons of the shortening. Microwave, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until chocolate melts, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in the chopped coffee beans. Pour chocolate mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread mixture evenly in a layer about 1/4 inch thick.
- In a second microwave-safe bowl combine the white chocolate, reserved 2 tablespoons dark chocolate, and the remaining 2 teaspoons shortening. Microwave, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, until chocolate melts, stirring every 30 seconds. Drop spoonfuls of white chocolate mixture over dark chocolate. Using a spoon, swirl the two chocolates together. Sprinkle Candied Orange Peel over mixture; lightly press into chocolate mixture.
- Chill candy about 30 minutes or until firm. Use foil to lift candy. Cut or break into pieces.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer candy between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Candied Orange Peel
- Cut peel from oranges lengthwise in quarters, cutting just through pulp to surface of fruit. Pry back quartered peel with spoon. Scrape away soft white pith inside peel. Cut peel in 1/2-inch-wide strips. In a 2-quart saucepan combine 1 1/3 cups sugar and water. Bring to boiling; add orange peel. Return to boiling, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until peel is almost translucent, stirring occasionally. Remove peel from syrup, allowing excess to drip off. Place on parchment or waxed paper. Cool until easy to handle (do not cool completely). Roll in 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar to coat. Let dry 1 to 2 hours. Coarsely chop peels. Makes about 1/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Mocha-Orange Bark)
- Per serving:
- 223 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 1 mg chol.,
- 11 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 30 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet