Mixed Grain Bread
- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the all-purpose flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan combine milk, the 3/4 cup water, the cracked wheat, cornmeal, brown sugar, oil, and salt. Heat and stir over medium-low heat just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F). Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in whole wheat flour, the 1/2 cup rolled oats, and as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is almost smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans.
- Shape each dough half into a loaf by patting or rolling. Place shaped dough halves in prepared pans. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush loaf tops with water; sprinkle with rolled oats. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. (If necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.) Immediately remove bread from pans. Cool on wire racks. Serve within 2 days or freeze for longer storage.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except add 1/4 cup sunflower kernels, 1/4 cup millet or sesame seeds, and 2 tablespoons poppy seeds with the rolled oats.
Per slice: 177 cal., 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 g trans fat, 1 mg chol., 203 mg sodium, 31 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 5 g pro.
Daily Values: 1% vit. A, 4% calcium, 10% iron
Exchanges: 2 starch, 0.5 fat
Nutrition Facts(Mixed Grain Bread)
- Per serving:
- 157 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 1 mg chol.,
- 203 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet