Mississippi Corn Bread Salad
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions for corn bread. Cool and crumble (should have about 5 cups).* Set aside.
- For dressing, in a small bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, and salad dressing mix.
- In a 3- to 4-quart glass salad bowl or 3-quart rectangular baking dish layer crumbled corn bread and 1 cup of the cheese. Spread with half of the dressing. Layer in the following order: beans, corn, the remaining 1 cup cheese, bacon, tomatoes, sweet pepper, and the remaining dressing. Cover tightly and chill overnight.
- Tote salad and green onions in an insulated cooler with ice packs. Before serving, sprinkle salad with green onions.
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, toast the crumbled corn bread. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the corn bread in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake about 10 minutes or until crisp; cool.
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Nutrition Facts (Mississippi Corn Bread Salad)
- Per serving:
- 342 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 38 mg chol.,
- 779 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet