Mississippi Corn Bread Salad
8 1/2 ounce package corn muffin mix
cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
8 ounce carton sour cream
1 ounce envelope ranch dry salad dressing mix
cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
15 1/4 ounce cans whole kernel corn, drained
slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
cups coarsely chopped tomatoes
cup chopped green and/or red sweet pepper
cup sliced green onions (4)
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions for corn bread. Cool and crumble (should have about 5 cups).* Set aside.
- For dressing, in a small bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, and salad dressing mix.
- In a 3- to 4-quart glass salad bowl or 3-quart rectangular baking dish layer crumbled corn bread and 1 cup of the cheese. Spread with half of the dressing. Layer in the following order: beans, corn, the remaining 1 cup cheese, bacon, tomatoes, sweet pepper, and the remaining dressing. Cover tightly and chill overnight.
- Tote salad and green onions in an insulated cooler with ice packs. Before serving, sprinkle salad with green onions.
The day before:
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, toast the crumbled corn bread. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the corn bread in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake about 10 minutes or until crisp; cool.
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Nutrition Facts(Mississippi Corn Bread Salad)
- Per serving:
- 342 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 38 mg chol.,
- 779 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet