Mint Cream-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty-four 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with foil bake cups; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl combine sugar and oil; beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until combined. Add egg, vanilla, and the 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract, beating until combined. Alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until combined.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, filling each cup about half full. Bake about 15 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes in muffin cups on a wire rack. Remove from muffin cups; cool completely.
- In a medium bowl fold 1 teaspoon peppermint extract and several drops of green food coloring (about 12 drops) into the whipped topping. Transfer topping to a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip. Using a straw, poke a hole in the center of each cooled cupcake to make hole about halfway down into the cupcake. Insert tip of pastry bag into the hole in each cupcake and squeeze to fill each with filling (stop squeezing when you see the filling coming out of the hole).
- In a small microwave-safe bowl combine chocolate pieces and shortening. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) about 30 seconds or until melted and smooth, stirring every 10 seconds. Spoon or pipe a button of chocolate in the center of each cupcake, covering the hole in center. Place a mint candy piece in the chocolate on each cupcake. Let stand about 30 minutes or until chocolate sets. (For an attractive presentation, use foil bake cups and place each baked cupcake inside decorative paper bake cup.)
From the Test Kitchen
Choose Splenda Sugar Blend. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1 1/3 cups sugar.
PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: Same as above, except 150 cal., 22 g carb. (11 g sugars). Exchanges: 0.5 carb.
Nutrition Facts (Mint Cream-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 167 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 1 mg chol. ,
- 161 mg sodium ,
- 28 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 17 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.