large onion, diced
tablespoons olive oil
cloves garlic, minced
ribs celery, diced (1/2 cup)
large carrot, peeled and diced
medium zucchini (about 8 ounces), diced
teaspoon dried oregano
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
cups low-sodium vegetable broth or low-sodium chicken broth (48 ounces)
28 ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
45 ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
15 ounce can low-sodium cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
cup whole grain elbow pasta
tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat cook and stir onion in hot oil for 4 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic; cook for 30 seconds. Add celery and carrot. Cook and stir for 5 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften. Add zucchini, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth and the diced and crushed tomatoes. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Add the beans and pasta. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender. Top servings with cheese and parsley.
- Use the vegetable broth option as directed.
- Serve with Prosciutto-Arugula Panini.
- Use gluten-free broth and substitute 1/2 cup of uncooked rice for the pasta. Cook 5 minutes longer or until rice is tender.
Make it vegetarian
For hearty appetites
Make it gluten-free
Nutrition Facts(Minestrone Soup)
- Per serving:
- 236 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 3 mg chol.,
- 719 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 13 g sugar,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet