Mexican Sombrero Chopped Salad with Creamy Jalapeno Dressing
- For dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the jalapeno chile peppers, mayonnaise, Mexican crema, cilantro, lime juice, and paprika. Season to taste with salt. Stir in milk as needed for desired consistency; cover and chill.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Fry the tortillas, one at a time, for 1 to 2 minutes or until brown and crispy on both sides. Drain on paper towels and season with salt. Set aside in a single layer.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the skillet. Fry the hominy in oil over low heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring gently. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with some salt and cayenne pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl toss together the lettuce, chicken, mango, avocado, tomatoes, chorizo, sweet pepper, and raisins. To serve, top each fried tortilla with the salad mixture. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with fried hominy and, if desired, queso fresco.
From the Test Kitchen
The tortilla is the sombrero. Corn tortillas can be used as well.
*Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Mexican Sombrero Chopped Salad with Creamy Jalapeno Dressing)
- Per serving:
- 703 kcal ,
- 49 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 14 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 15 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 57 mg chol. ,
- 1182 mg sodium ,
- 52 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 18 g pro.