Mexican Marshmallow Cocoa
cup premium unsweetened cocoa powder
cup hot water
cups half-and-half or light cream
cups whole milk
cup bittersweet chocolate pieces or 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
inches cinnamon stick
vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise
teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper, chili powder, or cayenne pepper
teaspoon almond extract
teaspoon powdered sugar
tablespoons premium unsweetened cocoa powder
teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker combine cocoa powder, sugar, and salt. Stir in the hot water until mixture forms a paste. Whisk in half-and-half and milk. Add cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean, and ground ancho chili pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. (Do not boil.) Add bittersweet chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted.
- If necessary, skim "skin" from surface; discard. Serve immediately or keep warm, covered, on warm-heat setting or low-heat setting for up to 2 hours.
- To serve, use a slotted spoon to remove vanilla bean and cinnamon sticks. Stir in almond extract.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and ground cinnamon. Roll marshmallows in cocoa powder mixture. Garnish each serving with a cocoa-coated marshmallow.
Nutrition Facts(Mexican Marshmallow Cocoa)
- Per serving:
- 236 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 38 mg chol.,
- 122 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet