- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- Steak Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons pure chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 3/4 pounds skirt steak, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, trimmed of excess surface fat, cut in 12-inch lengths
- Corn & Potato Salad
- 1 pound very small red potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 ears fresh corn, husked
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, diced
- 4 medium radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 canned chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 large handful (1 cup) mesquite wood chips, soaked in water at least 30 minutes
- Flour tortillas, warmed (6 inches) (optional)
1. For Steak Seasoning, in small bowl whisk together all ingredients to form a paste. Spread seasoning on both sides of each steak. Set aside at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes to absorb flavors.
2. Meanwhile, for Corn & Potato Salad, in medium saucepan cover potatoes with lightly salted water. Bring to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Cook potatoes about 20 minutes, until tender when pierced with tip of knife. Drain, rinse under cold running water, drain again. Cut potatoes in half. Transfer to medium bowl. Refrigerate to cool.
3. Prepare grill for two-zone fire over high heat (450 degrees F to 500 degrees F).
4. Brush cooking grate clean. Grill corn directly over coals or burners for 8 to 10 minutes, turning often until kernels are brown in spots all over, with grill covered as much as possible. Remove corn from grill; set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, cut kernels from cobs. Add corn, avocado, radishes, green onions, and cilantro to chilled potatoes.
5. For salad dressing, in small bowl whisk together lime juice, chile pepper, and garlic. Gradually whisk in oil. Pour over Corn & Red Potato Salad; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
6. Drain and add wood chips to grill. Cook steaks over direct high heat for 4 to 6 minutes for medium rare, turning once or twice, with grill covered as much as possible. If flare-ups occur, temporarily move steaks to cooler side of grill. When steaks are done, transfer to platter, cover, and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
7. Cut steaks cross the grain in 1/2-inch slices. Serve immediately with salad and, if desired, warm tortillas.
- Flank Steak could be an alternative for skirt steak. Score before grilling and cook over direct medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 503,
- Fat, total (g) 34,
- chol. (mg) 85,
- sat. fat (g) 9,
- carb. (g) 24,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 19,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3,
- Trans fatty acid (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 5,
- sugar (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 30,
- vit. A (IU) 1069,
- vit. C (mg) 16,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 1,
- Niacin (mg) 9,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 60,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 3,
- sodium (mg) 667,
- Potassium (mg) 998,
- calcium (mg) 50,
- iron (mg) 4,
- Mark as Free Exchange () 0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet