Mesquite Skirt Steak with Corn & Potato Salad
- For Steak Seasoning, in small bowl whisk together all ingredients to form a paste. Spread seasoning on both sides of each steak. Set aside at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes to absorb flavors.
- Meanwhile, for Corn & Potato Salad, in medium saucepan cover potatoes with lightly salted water. Bring to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Cook potatoes about 20 minutes, until tender when pierced with tip of knife. Drain, rinse under cold running water, drain again. Cut potatoes in half. Transfer to medium bowl. Refrigerate to cool.
- Prepare grill for two-zone fire over high heat (450 degrees F to 500 degrees F).
- Brush cooking grate clean. Grill corn directly over coals or burners for 8 to 10 minutes, turning often until kernels are brown in spots all over, with grill covered as much as possible. Remove corn from grill; set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, cut kernels from cobs. Add corn, avocado, radishes, green onions, and cilantro to chilled potatoes.
- For salad dressing, in small bowl whisk together lime juice, chile pepper, and garlic. Gradually whisk in oil. Pour over Corn & Red Potato Salad; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- Drain and add wood chips to grill. Cook steaks over direct high heat for 4 to 6 minutes for medium rare, turning once or twice, with grill covered as much as possible. If flare-ups occur, temporarily move steaks to cooler side of grill. When steaks are done, transfer to platter, cover, and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cut steaks cross the grain in 1/2-inch slices. Serve immediately with salad and, if desired, warm tortillas.
From the Test Kitchen
Flank Steak could be an alternative for skirt steak. Score before grilling and cook over direct medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once.
Nutrition Facts (Mesquite Skirt Steak with Corn & Potato Salad)
- Per serving:
- 503 kcal cal.,
- 34 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 19 g monounsatured fat),
- 85 mg chol.,
- 667 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet