Can you hear the giggles? Make this kid-pleasing pasta dish even more appealing by decorating it with cheese and olives to make a silly face.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Start to Finish: 40 mins
14 ounce jar meatless spaghetti sauce
teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
ounces dried fusilli, corkscrew, or wagon wheel pasta (4 cups)
purchased frozen meatballs
slices mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
slices stuffed green or pitted ripe olives, chilled
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Put the water, spaghetti sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a saucepan. Stir together with wooden spoon until mixed. Put saucepan on burner. Turn burner to high heat. Cook, uncovered, until the mixture boils, stirring now and then with wooden spoon. Add pasta to saucepan; stir with wooden spoon. Turn burner to medium-low heat. Put lid on saucepan and cook mixture about 20 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring once or twice with wooden spoon.
- Meanwhile, put meatballs in a baking pan. Put the baking pan in oven. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until meatballs are hot. Turn off oven. Use hot pads to remove pan from oven.
- While meatballs are baking, use a cookie cutter to cut 24 one-inch rounds from the cheese slices.
- To serve, divide cooked pasta mixture among serving plates. Top pasta on each plate with 2 meatballs. To make eyes, put a cheese round on top of each meatball and put an olive slice on top of each cheese round. Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Silly Spaghetti)
- Per serving:
- 270 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 28 mg chol.,
- 926 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet