- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup small dry red beans or dry red kidney beans
- 2 cooked smoked pork hocks
- 12 ounces cooked smoked sausage links or cooked andouille sausage cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- Several drops bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/3 cups instant white rice
- Snipped fresh celery leaves
1. Rinse red beans or red kidney beans. In a saucepan, combine beans and 6 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or, place beans in water in pan. Cover and let soak in a cool place for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.) Drain and rinse beans.
2. In a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker, combine beans, pork hocks, sausage, broth, sweet pepper, celery, onion, garlic, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning, and hot pepper sauce.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours.
4. Remove pork hocks. When cool enough to handle, cut pork off bones; cut pork into bite-size pieces. Discard bones. Stir pork and uncooked instant rice into bean mixture in slow cooker. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. If desired, sprinkle with snipped celery leaves before serving. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 336,
- Fat, total (g) 7,
- chol. (mg) 59,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 44,
- fiber (g) 6,
- pro. (g) 26,
- vit. A (RE) 82,
- vit. C (mg) 37,
- sodium (mg) 1013,
- calcium (mg) 101,
- iron (mg) 6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet