Red Beans and Rice
cup small dry red beans or dry red kidney beans
cooked smoked pork hocks
ounces cooked smoked sausage links or cooked andouille sausage cut into 1/2-inch pieces
cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoons tomato paste
tablespoon Cajun seasoning
Several drops bottled hot pepper sauce
cups instant white rice
Snipped fresh celery leaves
- Rinse red beans or red kidney beans. In a saucepan, combine beans and 6 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or, place beans in water in pan. Cover and let soak in a cool place for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.) Drain and rinse beans.
- In a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker, combine beans, pork hocks, sausage, broth, sweet pepper, celery, onion, garlic, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning, and hot pepper sauce.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours.
- Remove pork hocks. When cool enough to handle, cut pork off bones; cut pork into bite-size pieces. Discard bones. Stir pork and uncooked instant rice into bean mixture in slow cooker. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. If desired, sprinkle with snipped celery leaves before serving. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Red Beans and Rice)
- Per serving:
- 336 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 59 mg chol.,
- 1013 mg sodium,
- 44 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet