Pork Stew with Cornmeal Dumplings
- Cut pork into 1-inch cubes. In a large skillet brown pork and garlic in hot oil. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart crockery cooker combine carrots, potatoes, beer, tapioca, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, thyme, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Stir in browned meat and undrained tomatoes. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour,1/2 cup cheddar cheese, cornmeal, baking powder, and pepper. Combine beaten egg, milk, and oil. Add to flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined.
- If stew was cooked on low-heat setting, turn crockery cooker to high-heat setting. Remove bay leaves. Stir stew; drop dumplings by tablespoonfuls onto stew. Cover; cook for 50 minutes more (do not lift cover). Sprinkle dumplings with 2 tablespoons cheese.
Nutrition Facts (Pork Stew with Cornmeal Dumplings)
- Per serving:
- 650 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 148 mg chol.,
- 970 mg sodium,
- 64 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 36 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet