Pork Stew with Cornmeal Dumplings
pound boneless pork shoulder roast
clove garlic, minced
tablespoon cooking oil
medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (2 cups)
12 ounce can (1-1/2 cups) beer or 1-1/2 cups apple juice
cup quick-cooking tapioca
tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
teaspoon ground nutmeg
28 ounce can tomatoes, cut up
cup yellow cornmeal
teaspoon baking powder
tablespoons cooking oil
tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut pork into 1-inch cubes. In a large skillet brown pork and garlic in hot oil. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart crockery cooker combine carrots, potatoes, beer, tapioca, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, thyme, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Stir in browned meat and undrained tomatoes. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour,1/2 cup cheddar cheese, cornmeal, baking powder, and pepper. Combine beaten egg, milk, and oil. Add to flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined.
- If stew was cooked on low-heat setting, turn crockery cooker to high-heat setting. Remove bay leaves. Stir stew; drop dumplings by tablespoonfuls onto stew. Cover; cook for 50 minutes more (do not lift cover). Sprinkle dumplings with 2 tablespoons cheese.
Nutrition Facts(Pork Stew with Cornmeal Dumplings)
- Per serving:
- 650 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 148 mg chol.,
- 970 mg sodium,
- 64 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 36 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet