Pork Roast Cubano
pound boneless pork shoulder roast, rolled and tied
cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
teaspoons finely shredded lime peel
cup lime juice
tablespoons cooking oil
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
Beans and Rice (recipe follows)
- Unroll roast; butterfly it by making a lengthwise cut almost through the roast, then spreading it out to lie flat. Pierce meat on all sides with the tines of a fork.
- For marinade, combine thawed orange juice concentrate, lime peel, lime juice, oil, garlic, oregano, pepper, and salt.
- Place meat in a plastic bag in a shallow dish. Pour marinade over the meat, coating all surfaces. Seal bag and refrigerate meat and marinade for at least 4 hours or overnight, turning meat and bag once.
- Remove the meat from the bag, reserving the marinade. Reroll and tie the roast; place on a rack in a roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer. Roast, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven for 2-3/4 to 3-1/2 hours or until the meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F, basting frequently with reserved marinade during the first 2 hours of cooking time.
- Remove from oven. Let roast stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Makes 10 main-dish servings.
Beans and Rice
cup onion, chopped
cup sweet green pepper, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoons ground cumin
teaspoon chili powder
tablespoon cooking oil
15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
Chopped tomatoes (optional)
Sliced green onions (optional)
- In a saucepan cook 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped sweet green pepper, 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in 1 tablespoon hot oil for 2 minutes. Slowly add 2-1/2 cups water; bring to boiling. Stir in 1 cup rice. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole. Cover; bake in a 325 degrees F. oven 30 minutes. Pour 2 rinsed and drained 15-ounce cans black beans over rice. Do not stir. Return to oven. Cover; bake 5 to 10 minutes more or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Gently stir in beans. Garnish with chopped tomatoes and sliced green onions. Makes 10 side-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts(Pork Roast Cubano)
- Per serving:
- 257 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 89 mg chol.,
- 98 mg sodium,
- 3 g carb.,
- 24 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet