- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder roast, rolled and tied
- 1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lime peel
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Beans and Rice (recipe follows)
1. Unroll roast; butterfly it by making a lengthwise cut almost through the roast, then spreading it out to lie flat. Pierce meat on all sides with the tines of a fork.
2. For marinade, combine thawed orange juice concentrate, lime peel, lime juice, oil, garlic, oregano, pepper, and salt.
3. Place meat in a plastic bag in a shallow dish. Pour marinade over the meat, coating all surfaces. Seal bag and refrigerate meat and marinade for at least 4 hours or overnight, turning meat and bag once.
4. Remove the meat from the bag, reserving the marinade. Reroll and tie the roast; place on a rack in a roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer. Roast, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven for 2-3/4 to 3-1/2 hours or until the meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F, basting frequently with reserved marinade during the first 2 hours of cooking time.
5. Remove from oven. Let roast stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Makes 10 main-dish servings.
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup rice
- 2 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Chopped tomatoes (optional)
- Sliced green onions (optional)
1. In a saucepan cook 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped sweet green pepper, 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in 1 tablespoon hot oil for 2 minutes. Slowly add 2-1/2 cups water; bring to boiling. Stir in 1 cup rice. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole. Cover; bake in a 325 degrees F. oven 30 minutes. Pour 2 rinsed and drained 15-ounce cans black beans over rice. Do not stir. Return to oven. Cover; bake 5 to 10 minutes more or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Gently stir in beans. Garnish with chopped tomatoes and sliced green onions. Makes 10 side-dish servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 10,
- cal. (kcal) 257,
- Fat, total (g) 16,
- chol. (mg) 89,
- sat. fat (g) 5,
- carb. (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 24,
- sodium (mg) 98,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet