- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 7 hrs to 8 hrs (low) or 3 1/2 to 4 hours (high)
Pasta with Eggplant Sauce
ounces bulk hot Italian sausage
28 ounce can Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes in puree, cut up
ounces fresh cremini and/or button mushrooms, sliced
6 ounce can Italian-style tomato paste
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cup dry red wine
cloves garlic, minced
cup assorted snipped fresh herbs (such as basil, oregano, thyme, and/or Italian [flat-leaf] parsley)
cup pitted Kalamata or other Italian olives, sliced
Salt and ground black pepper (optional)
cups hot cooked penne pasta
tablespoons toasted pine nuts (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until brown. Drain off fat. If desired, peel eggplant. Cut eggplant into 1-inch pieces.
- In a 4- to 5 1/2-quart slow cooker, combine sausage, eggplant, tomatoes in puree, mushrooms, tomato paste, onion, wine, and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Stir in herbs and olives. If desired, season to taste with salt and/or pepper.
- Serve eggplant mixture over hot cooked pasta. Sprinkle with cheese and, if desired, pine nuts.
Nutrition Facts (Pasta with Eggplant Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 493 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 32 mg chol.,
- 871 mg sodium,
- 65 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesDinner Recipes, Ethnic Recipes, Healthy Dinner Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Recipes, Heart Healthy Dinners, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Italian Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Pasta Recipes, Pork Recipes, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes, Salad Dressing Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes