- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 3 chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
1. Combine masa harina with water in a large bowl. Add pork, beef, egg, 4 cloves garlic, salt, and pepper; mix well. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Place in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until no longer pink and an instant-read thermometer inserted in meatballs registers 160 degree F.
2. Meanwhile, in blender or food processor, puree undrained tomatoes and chipotle chili peppers. Press mixture through a sieve into a small bowl; discard solids. Set aside.
3. In a Dutch oven cook onion and the 2 cloves of garlic in hot oil over medium heat until onion is tender. Add tomato mixture, bouillon granules, and cumin. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add cooked meatballs; stir gently to coat.
4. Transfer to a serving bowl. Makes 6 to 8 dozen meatballs.
- Prepare meatballs and sauce as directed. Cool. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, let thaw; place in a 4-quart pot. Cook, covered, until mixture comes to boiling and meatballs are heated through, gently stirring occasionally.