Make these saucy beef and pork meatballs ahead and store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Yields: 6 to 8 dozen meatballs
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 20 mins 350°F
- Cook: 15 mins
- Combine masa harina with water in a large bowl. Add pork, beef, egg, 4 cloves garlic, salt, and pepper; mix well. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Place in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until no longer pink and an instant-read thermometer inserted in meatballs registers 160 degree F.
- Meanwhile, in blender or food processor, puree undrained tomatoes and chipotle chili peppers. Press mixture through a sieve into a small bowl; discard solids. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven cook onion and the 2 cloves of garlic in hot oil over medium heat until onion is tender. Add tomato mixture, bouillon granules, and cumin. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add cooked meatballs; stir gently to coat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Makes 6 to 8 dozen meatballs.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare meatballs and sauce as directed. Cool. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, let thaw; place in a 4-quart pot. Cook, covered, until mixture comes to boiling and meatballs are heated through, gently stirring occasionally.