Meatballs in Tomato-Wine Sauce
- Combine egg, bread crumbs, snipped parsley, the 3 or 4 cloves garlic, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, nutmeg, red pepper, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add ground beef and ground pork; mix well.
- Shape mixture into 36 meatballs. Coat a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place meatballs in pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 15 minutes or until thoroughly cooked (160 degrees F). Remove from oven. Place meatballs on paper towels and pat dry.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and the 1 clove garlic; cook and stir about 3 minutes or until onion is nearly tender. Stir together cornstarch and red wine or beef broth. Carefully add to skillet along with undrained tomatoes and the 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Add meatballs to skillet; stir gently to heat through. Transfer to a serving bowl and, if desired, garnish with additional parsley. Serve immediately with toasted cheese-topped French bread slices, if desired. Makes 36 appetizers.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and bake meatballs; cool. Pack in airtight freezer container or plastic freezer bag; seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight before adding to sauce as above.
Nutrition Facts (Meatballs in Tomato-Wine Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 34 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 13 mg chol.,
- 101 mg sodium,
- 1 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet