Italian Wedding Soup
ounces lean ground beef or lean ground lamb
small fennel bulb, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
cloves garlic, minced
cups beef broth
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon cracked black pepper
cup orzo pasta
cups shredded escarole, curly endive, and/or spinach
ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano or domestic Parmesan cheese with rind, cut into 4 wedges (optional)
- In large saucepan cook beef, fennel, onion, and garlic, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until meat is browned and vegetables are nearly tender, stirring occasionally. Drain fat, if necessary.
- Add broth, water, oregano, bay leaves, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves.* Reserve for garnish, if desired.
- Stir in orzo. Return to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Boil gently, uncovered, 10 minutes or until pasta is just tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in escarole.
- To serve, place wedge of cheese in 4 soup bowls. Ladle hot soup into bowls. Top with reserved bay leaves.
From the Test Kitchen
Bay leaves contribute a wonderful flavor and aroma to recipes. However, they should be removed before eating.
Nutrition Facts(Italian Wedding Soup)
- Per serving:
- 262 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 54 mg chol.,
- 873 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 21 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet