- Trim excess fat from brisket; sprinkle meat with seasoned pepper and salt. Place flour in a large oven cooking bag and shake; add brisket. Set the bag in a roasting pan.
- Combine carrots, celery, onions, undrained tomatoes, wine, soup mix, basil, and bay leaves; pour atop brisket. Close bag; cut slits in top of bag and seal the bag.
- Roast in a 325 degree F oven for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until tender. Remove bay leaves. Slice meat across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Skim fat from pan juices; serve with meat. Makes 12 main-dish servings.
- Cool meat in bag; cover and chill overnight. To reheat, remove meat from bag; thinly slice. Place slices in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Skim fat from juices; pour over meat. Cover; heat in a 300 degree F oven about 50 minutes or until hot. Serve as above.
Nutrition Facts (Hanukkah Brisket)
- Per serving:
- 257 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 78 mg chol.,
- 416 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet