- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 3/4 cup shredded pizza cheese or Italian cheese blend
- 2 cups mashed potatoes,* or refrigerated mashed potatoes
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 4 ounces bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 cups sliced zucchini or yellow summer squash
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can chunky pasta-style tomatoes
- 1/2 6 ounce can tomato paste(1/3 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Paprika (optional)
- Flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese into the potatoes; set mixture aside.
2. In a large skillet cook ground beef, sausage, and onion until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender. Drain. Stir in squash, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, and pepper. Bring to boiling. Transfer the mixture to a 2-quart casserole.
3. Spoon mashed potato mixture into a large pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Starting at one end, fill in the center of the casserole with rows of the mashed potato mixture until the meat mixture is covered. (Or, spoon mashed potato mixture in mounds on top of hot mixture.) Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Bake for 30 minutes or until mashed potato top is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with fresh flat-leaf parsley. Makes 6 servings.
- After bringing meat filling mixture to a boil, divide evenly among six 10-ounce individual casserole dishes. Top with potatoes. Cover with plastic wrap; chill up to 48 hours. To bake, remove plastic wrap; place casseroles in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Cover with foil. Bake, covered, in a 375 degree F oven for 35 minutes. Remove foil. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes more. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- To make mashed potatoes, wash and peel 1 pound of potatoes. Cut into quarters or cubes. Cook, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed until lumps are gone.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 254,
- Fat, total (g) 12,
- chol. (mg) 39,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 21,
- fiber (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 16,
- vit. A (RE) 82,
- vit. C (mg) 28,
- sodium (mg) 644,
- calcium (mg) 20,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet