Greek-Style Beef with Vegetables
ounces beef top round steak or lean boneless lamb
medium potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (3 cups)
medium carrots, roll-cut (1 cup)
tablespoon brown sugar
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground cloves
6 ounce can tomato paste (1/3 cup)
cup pitted ripe olives
tablespoon cooking oil
cloves garlic, minced
medium onions, cut into thin wedges
medium green, red, or yellow sweet pepper, cut into strips
tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Trim fat from beef or lamb. Partially freeze meat. Thinly slice across grain into bite-size strips. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan precook potatoes and carrots, covered, in enough boiling water to cover about 10 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together water, cornstarch, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, pepper, and ground cloves. Stir in tomato paste. Add olives. Set aside.
- Pour cooking oil into a wok or large skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add onions; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add sweet pepper; stir-fry about 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove pepper mixture from the wok.
- Stir sauce. Add sauce to the center of the wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in vinegar. Return pepper mixture to the wok. Add precooked potatoes and carrots. Stir all ingredients together to coat with sauce. Cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare vegetables. Cover potatoes with water. Cover all vegetables. Chill up to 4 hours. Drain potatoes before cooking in fresh water.
Nutrition Facts(Greek-Style Beef with Vegetables)
- Per serving:
- 376 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 54 mg chol.,
- 568 mg sodium,
- 48 g carb.,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet