- For filling, in a medium skillet cook meat, pepper, onion, and garlic until no pink remains. Drain fat. Stir in oregano, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Cover; cook over low heat for 3 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; set aside. Meanwhile, stack tortillas and wrap tightly in foil. Heat in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes to soften.
- For each flauta, spoon about 2 tablespoons of the meat filling lengthwise down the center of tortilla. Roll up lightly; secure with a wooden toothpick.
- In a large skillet heat about 1/2 inch of oil over medium-high heat until a small piece of tortilla or bread sizzles when dropped into oil. Fry 3 or 4 flautas at a time, about 3 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning once. Use tongs to lift flautas from oil; tip carefully to allow fat to drain out of each end.
- Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in a 300 degree F oven while frying remaining flautas. To serve, remove toothpicks. Serve on shredded lettuce with salsa, sour cream, and avocado slices. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Flautas)
- Per serving:
- 929 kcal cal.,
- 72 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 56 mg chol.,
- 718 mg sodium,
- 47 g carb.,
- 27 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet