Cold-Weather Osso Buco
tablespoons olive oil
veal shank cross cuts (2 pounds) or 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef short ribs
large onion, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
10 1/2 ounce can condensed chicken broth
new potatoes, halved
cups cubed, peeled butternut squash (1- to 1-1/2-inch cubes) (about 1 pound unpeeled)
10 ounce package frozen Brussels sprouts
tablespoon prepared horseradish
Snipped parsley (optional)
- In a 10-inch skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown veal shanks or beef ribs, half at a time, in hot oil. Transfer the meat to a 3-1/2- to 4-quart crockery cooker, reserving drippings in skillet. Sprinkle the meat with pepper.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet. Add more oil if necessary. Reduce heat to medium; cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth, scraping bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits.
- Transfer the onion mixture with juices to the crockery cooker. Add potatoes. Cover and cook on the low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4-1/2 hours or until meat is nearly tender.
- Add squash, Brussels sprouts, and horseradish to cooker, rearranging so vegetables are in cooking liquid. Stir together cornstarch and water; stir into mixture in cooker. Increase heat to high. Cook, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Cold-Weather Osso Buco)
- Per serving:
- 474 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 139 mg chol.,
- 626 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 46 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet