Chipotle-Lime Marinated Flank Steak
- Score steak by making shallow cuts at 1-inch intervals diagonally across steak in diamond pattern. Repeat scoring on second side. Place meat in a plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
- For marinade, stir together red wine, lime juice, soy sauce, the 1 chipotle pepper, 1 tablespoon cilantro, cooking oil, and 2 cloves of garlic. Pour over steak in bag; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for Chipotle-Tomatillo Salsa, stir together tomatillos, the 2 to 3 finely chopped chipotle peppers, red onion, the lime peel, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 tablespoon cilantro, 2 cloves garlic, honey, and salt. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- Drain steak, reserving marinade. Grill steak on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 14 minutes or to desired doneness (160 degrees F for medium doneness), turning once and brushing with reserved marinade halfway through grilling. Discard any reserved marinade.
- Cut the steak in half diagonally across the grain. Thinly slice steak diagonally across the grain. Serve with Chipotle-Tomatilla Salsa. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
1/2 vegetable, 4-1/2 meat.
Nutrition Facts (Chipotle-Lime Marinated Flank Steak)
- Per serving:
- 357 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 80 mg chol.,
- 595 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 34 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet