- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 3/4 - 1 pound beef flank steak
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 husked and finely chopped tomatillos (1-1/2 cups)
- 2 - 3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, drained, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 1 tablespoon finely snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 8-inch fat-free flour tortillas
- 3 cups mixed baby greens or torn leaf lettuce
- 1/2 red sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium papaya, peeled, seeded and cut into thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon crumbled queso fresco cheese or feta cheese
1. Score steak by making shallow cuts at 1-inch intervals diagonally across steak in a diamond pattern. Repeat scoring on second side. Place meat in a plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
2. For marinade, stir together red wine, lime juice, soy sauce, the 1 chipotle pepper, 1 tablespoon cilantro, cooking oil, and 2 cloves garlic. Pour over steak in bag; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, stir together tomatillos, the 2 to 3 finely chopped chipotle peppers, red onion, lime peel, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 tablespoon cilantro, 2 cloves garlic, honey, and salt. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to blend flavors.
4. Drain steak, reserving marinade. Grill steak on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 14 minutes or to desired doneness (160 degrees F for medium doneness), turning once and brushing with reserved marinade halfway through grilling. Discard any reserved marinade.
5. Wrap tortillas in paper towels. Microwave on 100% power (high) for 30 seconds to soften. (Or, wrap tortillas in foil. Heat in 350 degrees F oven for 10 minutes or until softened.)
6. Meanwhile, combine the mixed greens, 2/3 cup of the salsa, and the sweet pepper in a salad bowl. Toss to mix. Thinly slice flank steak diagonally across the grain.
7. To assemble, top each tortilla with salad mixture, steak slices, papaya, and queso fresco or feta cheese. Roll up each tortilla, securing with an appetizer pick. Makes 4 servings.
- 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 2 starch, 2-1/2 meat, 1/2 fat.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 349,
- Fat, total (g) 9,
- chol. (mg) 43,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 41,
- fiber (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 21,
- vit. A (RE) 278,
- vit. C (mg) 47,
- sodium (mg) 772,
- iron (mg) 4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet