Chipotle-Lime Flank Steak Salad Wraps
- Score steak by making shallow cuts at 1-inch intervals diagonally across steak in a diamond pattern. Repeat scoring on second side. Place meat in a plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
- For marinade, stir together red wine, lime juice, soy sauce, the 1 chipotle pepper, 1 tablespoon cilantro, cooking oil, and 2 cloves garlic. Pour over steak in bag; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Meanwhile, stir together tomatillos, the 2 to 3 finely chopped chipotle peppers, red onion, lime peel, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 tablespoon cilantro, 2 cloves garlic, honey, and salt. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- Drain steak, reserving marinade. Grill steak on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 14 minutes or to desired doneness (160 degrees F for medium doneness), turning once and brushing with reserved marinade halfway through grilling. Discard any reserved marinade.
- Wrap tortillas in paper towels. Microwave on 100% power (high) for 30 seconds to soften. (Or, wrap tortillas in foil. Heat in 350 degrees F oven for 10 minutes or until softened.)
- Meanwhile, combine the mixed greens, 2/3 cup of the salsa, and the sweet pepper in a salad bowl. Toss to mix. Thinly slice flank steak diagonally across the grain.
- To assemble, top each tortilla with salad mixture, steak slices, papaya, and queso fresco or feta cheese. Roll up each tortilla, securing with an appetizer pick. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 2 starch, 2-1/2 meat, 1/2 fat.
Nutrition Facts (Chipotle-Lime Flank Steak Salad Wraps)
- Per serving:
- 349 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 43 mg chol.,
- 772 mg sodium,
- 41 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 21 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet