Bavarian Pork Roast
1 1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
teaspoons caraway seed
teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil
tablespoons white wine vinegar
ounce carton dairy sour cream or plain yogurt
- Trim fat from roast. If necessary, cut roast to fit into a 3-1/2- to 6-quart crockery cooker. Combine caraway seed, marjoram, salt, and pepper. Rub all over roast.
- In a large skillet, brown pork roast on all sides in hot oil. Drain off fat. Place meat in crockery cooker. Add the water to skillet; bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring to loosen brown bits in bottom of skillet. Pour skillet juices and vinegar into crockery cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Remove meat from cooker; keep warm.
- For gravy, skim fat from juices; measure 1-1/4 cups juices (add water, if necessary). Pour juices into a saucepan; bring to boiling. Combine sour cream or yogurt and cornstarch. Stir into juices. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Slice meat and serve with gravy. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Bavarian Pork Roast)
- Per serving:
- 262 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 73 mg chol.,
- 365 mg sodium,
- 4 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet