Maple, Apple, and Cheddar Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten one portion of dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it; set aside.
- For filling, in a large bowl stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add apples; toss gently to coat. Add cheese and the 1/4 cup maple syrup; toss gently to combine. Transfer filling to pastry-lined pie plate. Drizzle with cream.
- Trim pastry even with edge of pie plate. Roll the remaining dough into a 12-inch circle. Cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape. Place pastry circle on filling; trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top pastry edge under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 20 minutes more or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Brush with the 2 tablespoons maple syrup. If desired, sprinkle with pecans. Cool for 1 hour. Serve slightly warm.
Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie
- In a large bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea-size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide pastry in half; form halves into balls.
- On lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten one pastry ball. Roll it from center to edge into a 12-inch circle.
- Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Transfer desired filling to pastry-lined pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate.
- Roll remaining ball into a 12-inch circle. Using a sharp knife, cut slits in pastry. Place pastry circle on filling; trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Bake as directed in recipes.
Nutrition Facts (Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie)
- Per serving:
- 303 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- ( 7 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 333 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except substitute 1/4 cup ground, toasted pecans or almonds for 1/4 cup of the flour.
Pastry for Lattice-Top Pie:
Prepare as above, except trim bottom pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Roll out remaining pastry and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Transfer desired filling to pastry-lined pie plate. Weave strips over filling in a lattice pattern, twisting strips, if desired. Press strip ends into bottom pastry rim. Fold bottom pastry over strip ends; seal and crimp edge. Bake as directed in recipes.
Prepare Pastry for Lattice-Top Pie as above, except instead of weaving strips over filling, lay half of the pastry strips on filling at 1-inch intervals. Give pie a quarter turn; arrange remaining strips perpendicular to the first half of strips on filling.
Nutrition Facts (Maple, Apple, and Cheddar Pie)
- Per serving:
- 524 kcal ,
- 26 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 40 mg chol. ,
- 540 mg sodium ,
- 63 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 29 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.