Manchego and Brandied Cherry Scones
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a small saucepan combine cherries and brandy. Heat over medium heat just until warm. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes; drain.
- In a food processor* combine flour, 1/4 cup of the cheese, the baking powder, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and pulse with several on/off turns to combine. Sprinkle butter pieces over flour mixture. Cover and pulse with several on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add drained cherries; cover and pulse with several on/off turns to combine. With the motor running, slowly add whipping cream through the feed tube, processing just until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it 10 to 12 strokes or just until dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll the dough into an 8-inch circle. In a small bowl whisk together egg and the water; brush over dough circle. In a small bowl stir together the remaining 1/4 cup cheese, the rosemary, coarse salt, and pepper. Sprinkle mixture over dough circle. Using a pizza cutter or floured sharp knife, cut dough circle into eight wedges. Place dough wedges 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
If you don't have a food processor, combine the flour mixture in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add drained cherrie and whipping cream all at once. Using a fork, stir until mixture is moistened. Continue as directed in Step 4.
To Make Ahead:
Prepare scones as directed through Step 3. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours. Bake as directed in Step 4.
Place scones in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag; cover or seal. (Because these scones are extra tender and crumbly, handle them carefully.) Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, place scones on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 5 to 6 minutes or until warm.
Nutrition Facts (Manchego and Brandied Cherry Scones)
- Per serving:
- 329 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 76 mg chol.,
- 504 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet