Upload your photo here.
Make-it-Mine Streusel Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a 4-quart Dutch oven stir together the granulated sugar and Fruit Filling. Gently toss until coated.
- Add the water to filling. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Set aside.
- If using refrigerated rolled pastry or Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie, line a 9-inch pie plate with Crust. Trim overhang to an even 1 inch all the way around. Tuck the crust under and flute the edges. Do not prick pastry.
- For crumb topping, in a medium bowl stir together the oats, flour, brown sugar, Spice, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. If desired, add Crunch; toss to mix.
- Transfer fruit mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle crumb topping over fruit mixture. To prevent overbrowning, loosely cover pie with foil.
- Place pie on middle rack in oven; place foil-lined baking sheet on the rack beneath pie. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and crumb topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Fruit Filling (Pick One):
6 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart red cherries and 3 tablespoons cornstarch
6 cups peeled, cored, and sliced apples and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries and 3 tablespoons cornstarch
6 cups sliced rhubarb and 1/4 cup cornstarch
Crust (Pick One):
Half of a 15-ounce package rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crust (1 pie crust)
Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie (page xx)
Purchased frozen 9-inch unbaked pie shell. (Remove 1/2 cup fruit mixture before adding to pie shell; place the 1/2 cup filling in a 6-ounce custard cup and sprinkle with some of the crumb topping. Bake beside the pie for 40 minutes total.)
Spice (Pick One):
Pumpkin pie spice
Apple pie spice
Chopped pecans or chopped, slivered almonds
Shredded or flaked coconut
Cover pie and store at room temperature for up to 24 hours or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.