Macaroni with Mushrooms and Blue Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Return macaroni to pan; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, nutmeg, and pepper. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Add blue cheese; stir until cheese melts.
- Add cheese mixture and mushroom mixture to macaroni; stir to combine. Spoon pasta mixture into prepared casserole. Sprinkle walnuts evenly over top.
- Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until heated through (160 degrees F).
From the Test Kitchen
Use white, brown, or shiitake mushrooms, or try a combination. It is important not to crowd the skillet when cooking the mushrooms. They should become richly colored and a little crisp on the edges rather than steam in their juices.
Nutrition Facts(Macaroni with Mushrooms and Blue Cheese)
- Per serving:
- 415 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 25 mg chol.,
- 313 mg sodium,
- 51 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 16 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet