Macaroni with Mushrooms and Blue Cheese
Nonstick cooking spray
tablespoon olive oil
ounces fresh mushrooms,* sliced
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cloves garlic, minced
cups fresh baby spinach
teaspoon ground nutmeg
teaspoon ground black pepper
cups whole milk
cups crumbed blue cheese or Gorgonzola (5 ounces)
cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Return macaroni to pan; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, nutmeg, and pepper. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Add blue cheese; stir until cheese melts.
- Add cheese mixture and mushroom mixture to macaroni; stir to combine. Spoon pasta mixture into prepared casserole. Sprinkle walnuts evenly over top.
- Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until heated through (160 degrees F).
From the Test Kitchen
Use white, brown, or shiitake mushrooms, or try a combination. It is important not to crowd the skillet when cooking the mushrooms. They should become richly colored and a little crisp on the edges rather than steam in their juices.
Nutrition Facts(Macaroni with Mushrooms and Blue Cheese)
- Per serving:
- 415 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 25 mg chol.,
- 313 mg sodium,
- 51 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 16 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet