Lower-Sugar Double Ginger-Orange Marmalade
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peels from 5 or 6 of the oranges. Cut peels into very thin strips; measure 1 cup orange peel strips.
- Using a paring knife, cut off and discard stem and blossom ends from all of the oranges. Cut away the peels (if present) and any white portions on the oranges. Working over a bowl to catch the juices, section the oranges (you should have about 4 cups orange sections with their juices).
- In a large saucepan combine orange peel strips, the water, and baking soda. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in orange sections with their juices, crystallized ginger, and ginger juice. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes more. Measure exactly 5 1/2 cups of the orange mixture; discard any remaining mixture.
- Transfer the 5 1/2 cups orange mixture to a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot. In a small bowl stir together 1/4 cup of the sugar and the pectin; stir into orange mixture. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Quickly stir in the remaining 3 3/4 cups sugar. Return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon.
- Ladle hot marmalade into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks. Makes 8 half-pints.
Nutrition Facts (Lower-Sugar Double Ginger-Orange Marmalade)
- Per serving:
- 51 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 3 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet