Lizzie's Strawberry Cupcakes by Trisha Yearwood
"I always think homemade has to mean strictly from scratch," Trisha says. "But my grandmother, Lizzie Paulk, used this recipe in the 1930s. When I saw it had cake mix in it, I thought to myself, Well, that makes it OK!"
- Makes: 24 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 18 mins to 20 mins 350°
- Cool: 5 mins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty-four 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside.
- For cupcakes, with an electric mixer, beat the cake mix, gelatin, oil, strawberries, and water until fully combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Spoon batter into prepared cups filling 2/3 full. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove muffin pan from oven, let cool on wire rack, 5 minutes.. Remove cakes from muffin pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- For icing, in a blender or food processor, puree the butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, and strawberries for the glaze until smooth. The mixture will appear curdled and smooth out as you process. Add additional powdered sugar to desired consistency. Spoon desired amount atop cupcakes; let stand several hours (icing will remain a bit soft). Chill any remaining icing.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Prepare batter as above. Pour batter into prepared pan and gently smooth top. Bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack. Using a toothpick, poke several holes in the top of the cake. Pour icing over the cake, allowing some of it to seep into the cake. Makes 12 servings.
- Per serving:
- 218 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 41 mg chol.,
- 194 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 20 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet