Little Pumpkin Cakes
- Grease and lightly flour twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups, four 3-1/2-inch muffin cups, or thirty-six 1-3/4-inch muffin cups (or line muffin cups with paper bake cups). Set pan(s) aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine eggs, sugar, and oil; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Alternately add flour mixture and pumpkin to sugar mixture, beating just until mixture is combined.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean. Allow 20 to 25 minutes for 2-1/2-inch cups, 25 to 30 minutes for 3-1/2-inch cups, or 12 to 15 minutes for 1-3/4-inch cups. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Using a knife or small metal spatula, loosen edges; carefully remove cakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on rack.
- Frost cakes with Creamy Frosting. If desired, arrange pieces of Caramelized Hazelnut Brittle on top of cakes.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Place cakes in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw cakes, if frozen. Continue as directed in Step 4.
Caramelized Hazelnut Brittle
- Line a large baking sheet with foil; butter foil. Set aside. In a small saucepan melt butter over low heat. Stir in hazelnuts; keep hazelnuts warm over low heat. Place sugar in a heavy 12-inch skillet; heat over medium-high heat until sugar begins to melt, shaking skillet occasionally to heat sugar evenly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until sugar is melted and golden, stirring only as necessary after sugar begins to melt (12 to 15 minutes). Remove from heat; quickly stir in warm chopped hazelnuts. Immediately pour hazelnut mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, allowing syrup to flow and distributing nuts evenly. Cool completely. Break candy into shardlike pieces.
From the Test Kitchen
Store in a tightly covered container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 month.
- In a large bowl beat together cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth.
Nutrition Facts (Little Pumpkin Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 459 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 32 mg chol.,
- 161 mg sodium,
- 60 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet