Lemony White Bean and Carrot Spinach Salad
cups dry Great Northern beans
medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
medium onion, halved and thinly sliced (1 cup)
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon ground black pepper
cups no-salt-added chicken stock
5 ounce package fresh baby spinach
teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
tablespoons lemon juice
medium avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped
cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese (3 ounces)
cup pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
Lemon wedges (optional)
- Rinse beans; drain. In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven combine beans and enough water to cover beans by 2 inches. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Rinse and drain beans.
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine the soaked beans, carrots, onion, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Pour stock over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. If desired, remove 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid; set aside. Drain bean mixture; discard any remaining cooking liquid. Return bean mixture to the hot cooker. Stir in spinach, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer bean mixture to a serving platter. Top with avocado, cheese, and pistachios. If desired, drizzle with enough of the reserved cooking liquid to moisten. If desired, serve with lemon wedges. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Lemony White Bean and Carrot Spinach Salad)
- Per serving:
- 319 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 4 mg chol.,
- 498 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 14 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet