Lemonade Cider with Ginger Swizzle Sticks
cups apple cider or apple juice
tablespoons packed brown sugar
small chunks crystallized ginger
inches stick cinnamon, broken
apple, cored, seeded, and cut into thin wedges
4 inches wooden picks or skewers
- In a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker combine cider, lemonade, and brown sugar.
- For a spice bag, cut a 6-inch square from a double thickness of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Place four pieces of ginger, the cinnamon, and allspice in the center of cheesecloth. Bring up corners of the cheesecloth; tie bag closed with 100-percent-cotton kitchen string. Add spice bag to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Discard spice bag. Add apple wedges to slow cooker.
- For swizzle sticks, thread two pieces of ginger onto each wooden pick or skewer. Ladle cider mixture into mugs. Garnish each serving with a swizzle stick with ginger pieces down in cider mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed above, except stir 1 to 2 tablespoons apple brandy (1/2 to 1 ounce) into each serving.
Nutrition Facts(Lemonade Cider with Ginger Swizzle Sticks)
- Per serving:
- 129 kcal cal.,
- 29 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 29 g sugar
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet