- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over edges of pan; set aside. For crust, In a medium bowl stir together the 1 cup flour and 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into the flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (mixture will be dry). Press mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake about 15 minutes or just until crust is golden.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a large bowl whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon peel, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon orange peel, 1 tablespoon orange juice, and baking soda until smooth. Pour filling over hot crust.
- Bake about 20 minutes more or until edges are light brown and center is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- For glaze, in a small bowl stir together 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon orange peel, 2 tablespoons orange juice, and 1 teaspoon lemon peel until combined. Using the edges of the foil, lift uncut bars out of pan. Spread with glaze. Let stand until glaze is set. Cut into bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Place bars in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze unglazed bars for up to 1 month. To serve, thaw bars if frozen. Glaze bars as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon-Orange Bars )
- Per serving:
- 145 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 31 mg chol.,
- 64 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 18 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet