pound fresh or frozen cod or other firm white fish
tablespoon grated fresh ginger
5 ounce bags baby spinach
teaspoon ground black pepper
- Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. Cut fish into 4 pieces; set fish aside. Thinly slice one lemon; set aside. Finely shred peel from remaining lemon; juice the lemon. In a small bowl combine the lemon peel and juice, ginger, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add fish to skillet. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until browned. Turn fish and add lemon juice mixture. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until fish flakes when tested with a fork. Using a slotted spatula, transfer fish to platter; cover to keep warm.
- Add lemon slices to the skillet. Cook about 2 minutes or until lemon slices are softened and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, place spinach in a very large, microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle with the water. Microwave on 100-percent power (high) about 2 minutes or just until wilted, tossing once after 1 minute.
- To serve, divide spinach among four shallow serving bowls. Top with fish and sauce. Add lemon slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
Orange Pepper Salmon:
Prepare as directed, except substitute salmon for the cod and 2 small oranges for the lemons. Omit ginger; add 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper to the juice mixture.
Nutrition Facts(Lemon-Ginger Fish)
- Per serving:
- 228 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 79 mg chol.,
- 344 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet