Lemon-Foldovers Coffee Cake
- Allow eggs and buttermilk to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl stir together the warm water and yeast; let stand about 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Lightly beat the eggs. Add eggs, buttermilk, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, vanilla, and salt to yeast mixture; mix well. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups of the flour, beating with an electric mixer on low speed just until combined (dough will be soft and slightly sticky). Beat on low speed for 5 minutes more. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the remaining flour (dough will still be slightly sticky). Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup sugar, lemon peel, and orange peel; mix well, pressing to release oils from peels. Set aside.
- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over edges of pan. Grease foil; set pan aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into an 18x12-inch rectangle. Using a pizza cutter, cut into eighteen 4x3-inch rectangles. Spoon a slightly rounded teaspoon of the lemon curd into the center of each rectangle. Moisten edges of rectangles with water. Fold in half diagonally to make triangles; pinch dough to seal edges.
- Arrange triangles in the prepared baking pan in two lengthwise rows of nine, making sure the sealed edges are pointing up. Drizzle with 1/4 cup melted butter; sprinkle with lemon peel mixture. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. If necessary to prevent overbrowning, cover loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Using the edges of the foil, lift coffee cake out of pan. Carefully transfer coffee cake to a serving platter. Drizzle with Lemon-Cream Cheese Icing. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Blogger Variation by Julianne Bayer of Beyond Frosting
For Julianne's version, prepare the dough as above, except substitute almond extract for vanilla and add 2 tablespoons finely shredded orange peel into the yeast mixture. Omit the 1/2 cup sugar, lemon peel, 1 tablespoon orange peel, and lemon curd. After punching dough down, knead 1 1/4 cups dried cranberries into the dough. Roll dough as directed. Cut the dough into 4x3-inch squares. Place dough squares into a greased 9-inch loaf pan next to each other, staggering until pan is full. Bake as above. For the glaze, substitute orange juice for lemon juice and top the glazed bread with toasted sliced almonds.
Lemon-Cream Cheese Icing
- In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar to make icing drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon-Foldovers Coffee Cake)
- Per serving:
- 385 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 71 mg chol.,
- 196 mg sodium,
- 66 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 36 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet