Lemon-and-Bay Leaf Bean Pickles
cups white wine vinegar
cup lemon juice
tablespoon pickling salt
pounds fresh green and/or yellow beans, trimmed (about 11 cups)
teaspoons whole black peppercorns
strips lemon peel
- In a 6- to 8-quart stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy pot, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until sugar and salt dissolve. Add beans; return to boiling. Boil for 1 minute. Drain beans, reserving the liquid. Return reserved liquid to the pot. Return to a simmer; cover.
- Pack hot beans lengthwise into four hot, sterilized pint jars, adding two of the bay leaves, 1 teaspoon of the peppercorns, and two strips of the lemon peel to each jar.
- Pour boiling liquid over beans in jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Remove any air bubbles from jar.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts(Lemon-and-Bay Leaf Bean Pickles)
- Per serving:
- 27 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 184 mg sodium,
- 6 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet