Layered Vegetable-Romano Torte
tablespoons olive oil
medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices (5 cups)
cups fresh baby spinach
teaspoon sea salt
teaspoon ground black pepper
cups grated Romano cheese
cups thinly sliced carrots (3 medium)
medium yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
16 ounce jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained and sliced
Snipped fresh parsley
recipe Greek Dressing or 2/3 cup bottled Greek or Caesar salad dressing
- In a very large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini; cook about 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in baby spinach. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or just until spinach wilts. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper. Transfer half of the zucchini mixture to a bowl; set aside. Spoon the remaining zucchini mixture into an 8-inch springform pan, arranging in an even layer. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the Romano cheese. Set aside.
- In the same skillet heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in yellow squash. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes more or until carrots and squash are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add mixture in an even layer to the 8-inch springform pan. Sprinkle with another 1/2 cup of the Romano cheese.
- Arrange roasted red peppers in an even layer over the carrots and squash. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup Romano cheese. Spoon the reserved zucchini mixture evenly over the top.
- Top springform pan with a sheet of waxed paper or parchment paper. Place an 8-inch round cake pan on top of the waxed paper and weigh it down with unopened heavy cans or jars. Place the torte in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Chill for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours.
- To serve, remove cans or jars and cake pan. Carefully drain any excess juice from the torte. Carefully remove the sides of the springform pan. Place torte on a serving plate. Let stand for 1 hour to allow torte to come to room temperature. Sprinkle with parsley. Drizzle each serving with some of the Greek Dressing.
Nutrition Facts(Layered Vegetable-Romano Torte)
- Per serving:
- 156 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 10 mg chol.,
- 350 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet