Layered Sherbet Cake
- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cool: 1 hr
- Freeze: 4 hrs
Layered Sherbet Cake
- Prepare, bake, and cool Classic White Cake as directed for 8-inch layers.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake layer in half horizontally. Place one cake layer, cut side up, on the bottom of a 8-inch springform pan (if necessary, trim to fit).* Attach sides of pan. Spoon orange sherbet onto cake layer in pan; spread evenly. Top with second cake layer; spread with lime sherbet. Top with third cake layer; spread with raspberry sherbet. Top with fourth cake layer, cut side down. Cover with plastic wrap; freeze for 3 to 4 hours or until firm.
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until light and fluffy. Stir in a small amount of the whipped topping to lighten. Fold in the remaining whipped topping.
- Remove plastic wrap from cake. Remove sides of pan. Using a wide spatula, transfer cake from bottom of springform pan to a serving plate. Spread top and sides of cake with frosting. Top cake with small candies. Freeze, uncovered, for 1 to 2 hours or until firm.
- Let stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Cut into wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
Since the split cake layers are thin, place the first one on the bottom of the springform pan before attaching the sides of the pan. This prevents possible breakage of the layer. Set the last cake layer on top of the ice cream, gently pressing the cake to seal it to the ice cream.
Classic White Cake
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour two 9x1-1/2-inch or 8x1-1/2-inch round cake pans or grease one 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan(s) aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Spread batter in prepared pan(s).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes for 9-inch pans or 30 to 35 minutes for 8-inch pans or 13x9x2-inch pan, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center(s) comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans. Cool thoroughly on racks. Or place the 13x9x2-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly. Frost with desired frosting
Nutrition Facts (Layered Sherbet Cake)
- Per serving:
- 441 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 33 mg chol.,
- 292 mg sodium,
- 65 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 46 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet