Layered California-Style BLT Salad
- In a very large skillet cook bacon in batches over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels; when cool, coarsely crumble or chop bacon. Set aside.
- In the bottom of a 3- to 4-quart glass bowl, arrange half of the Garlicky Focaccia Croutons. Top with half of the romaine and half of the spinach. Top with half of the tomato slices and half of the bacon. Spread half of the Dilled Avocado Dressing over the bacon, sealing dressing to the edge of the bowl. Repeat layers, ending with the dressing. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Chill for up to 8 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
For a lighter recipe, use reduced-fat versions of the mayonnaise, sour cream, and milk in the dressing.
Before serving, peel, halve, and pit two avocados. Cut each half into 4 to 6 wedges and place on top of salad. If desired, brush avocados with lemon juice to keep them brightly colored.
Dilled Avocado Dressing
- In a blender or food processor combine the avocado, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, fresh dill, milk, garlic salt, and ground black pepper. Cover and blend or process until smooth.
Garlicky Focaccia Croutons
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a large bowl combine foccacia and olive oil; toss to coat. Spread bread cubes evenly in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until cubes are crisp, stirring once; cool. If desired, store croutons in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Layered California-Style BLT Salad)
- Per serving:
- 465 kcal cal.,
- 44 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 8 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 17 g monounsatured fat),
- 47 mg chol.,
- 614 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet