White Chocolate Cherry Cream Puffs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, water, butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball that doesn't separate. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon after each addition.
- Drop 12 mounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Using a moistened finger, smooth any rough peaks in the tops of the cream puffs.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and firm; cool. Cut tops from cream puffs; remove soft dough from insides.
For cherry filling:
- Place the thawed cherries in a sieve over a 2-cup measuring cup. Drain the cherries, reserving cherry juice. Add enough water to reserved cherry juice to make 2 cups liquid; set the cherries aside. In a large saucepan, stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in cherry-juice mixture, kirsch, and red food coloring. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and cherries. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
- Before serving, spoon cherry filling into cream puffs. Replace tops. Spoon melted chocolate over cream puffs.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare the cherry filling, then cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Also, you can fill the puffs up to 1 hour ahead, dip or drizzle on the chocolate, and refrigerate.