- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 15 1/4 - 17 ounce can unpeeled apricot halves, undrained
- 1 5 1/2ounce can apricot nectar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 package 2-layer-size spice cake mix
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil; grease foil. Set aside. Drain apricot halves, reserving juice in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Add apricot nectar to the reserved juice; set aside. Cut apricot halves into 1/2-inch-thick slices; set aside. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over bottom of the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with almonds. Arrange apricot slices on top of almonds; set aside.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, except stir oats into dry cake mix and substitute apricot juice mixture for the water called for in directions (add water to juice mixture or discard excess juice mixture as needed to equal correct amount).
3. Pour batter evenly over apricot slices and almonds in pan, being careful not to disturb apricots and almonds. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
4. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Carefully invert onto a large serving platter; remove foil. Drizzle warm cake with caramel ice cream topping. If desired, top each serving with sweetened whipped cream. Makes 12 to 16 servings.