- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 2 layer-size package desired flavor cake mix
- 2 16 ounce can white frosting
- 1 tube black decorator frosting*
- 2 round red gum balls
- Red chewy fruit-flavored worm-shaped candy
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans and one oven-safe 6-inch diameter bowl.
2. Prepare your favorite 2 layer cake mix according to package directions. Pour half of the cake batter into one of the prepared cake pans. Pour 1 1/4 cups of the batter into the prepared 6-inch bowl. Pour remaining batter into the other 9-inch cake pan. Bake the full 9-inch cake pan for 25 to 30 minutes. Bake the bowl for 25 to 30 minutes. Bake the remaining 9-inch cake pan for 15 to 18 minutes. All cakes are done when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans and bowl 10 minutes. Remove cake layers to wire racks and cool completely.
3. Place skull pattern onto the highest 9-inch cake layer. Cut around pattern A. Place on cake plate. Place skull pattern onto the other 9-inch layer and cut around pattern B. Spread some of the white frosting onto the cake layer on plate. Place cake layer B and bowl cake appropriately over frosted layer. Hollow out eyes and nose with a melon baller. Let cake stand for 30 minutes. Combine 1 cup of canned frosting and 3 to 4 teaspoons milk. Frost entire cake and let dry until frosting is set. Frost eyes and nose with black frosting. Frost cake with remaining white frosting. Attach gumball into eye sockets with additional black frosting. Pipe teeth and cranium cracks with remaining black frosting. Decorate cake plate and skull with worm candy. Makes 12 servings.
- Skull pattern can be found by cutting and pasting this link into the address bar: http://www.bhg.com/dyn/dyn/servlet/securePdf.dyn?file=/bhg/securepdf/BHGSkullCake.pdf