- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg whites
- Powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 1-quart souffle dish with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl combine 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar and the flour. Whisk in lemon peel, lemon juice, and melted butter until smooth. In a small bowl whisk together egg yolks and milk. Whisk egg yolk mixture into flour mixture just until combined; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add remaining 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Stir a small amount of beaten egg whites into lemon mixture to lighten. Gently fold in remaining beaten egg whites (batter will be thin).
3. Pour batter into prepared souffle dish. Place souffle dish in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Place baking pan on an oven rack. Pour boiling water into baking pan around souffle dish to a depth of 1 inch.
4. Bake about 40 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Carefully remove souffle dish from baking pan. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Serve warm.