Italian Cream Cake
- Separate eggs. Allow egg yolks, egg whites, and butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour three 8x1-1/2-inch or 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans; set pans aside. In a bowl, stir together flour and baking soda; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a very large mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until well combined. Add the egg yolks and vanilla; beat on medium speed until combined. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Fold in coconut and the 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans.
- Thoroughly wash the beaters. In a mixing bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold about one-third of the egg whites into cake batter to lighten. Fold in remaining whites. Spread batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake about 25 minutes for 9-inch pans, about 35 minutes for 8-inch pans, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- Place one cake layer, bottom side up, on serving plate. Spread with about 1/2 cup of the Cream Cheese Frosting; sprinkle with 1/4 cup pecans. Top with second cake layer, bottom side down. Spread with 1/2 cup more frosting and sprinkle with 1/4 cup nuts. Top with remaining layer, bottom side up; spread top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Press remaining nuts around side and on top of cake.**
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter; and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in 5-1/2 to 6 cups powdered sugar until well combined and a spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Italian Cream Cake)
- Per serving:
- 618 kcal cal.,
- 34 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 13 g monounsatured fat),
- 112 mg chol.,
- 251 mg sodium,
- 77 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 63 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet