- Bake cakes; cool. Set aside about 1/3 cup frosting; use food coloring to tint that frosting peach. Use food coloring to tint remaining frosting light blue.
- Place one cake layer flat side up on a work surface; spread 1/2 cup blue frosting on the top. Top with second cake layer, flat side down. Cut a 1-inch slice from one edge of cake to form the bottom of fishbowl. Cut a thin slice on opposite edge of cake to form top of fishbowl. Carefully set cake, with bottom of fishbowl down on a serving plate. Spread blue frosting over cake. While frosting is still wet, press pebblelike candies into frosting around bottom of cake.
- Place peach frosting in decorating bag fitted with a medium rose tip. Pipe an oval shape for each fish body. Make little ruffles for fish tails and fins. Place remaining blue frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe a border at top of fishbowl. If desired, add a small round tip and pipe stripes on fish. Use blue piping gel to pipe bubbles above fish. Serves 12.
From the Test Kitchen
If you don't have buttermilk on hand, substitute sour milk in the same amount. For the 1-1/3 cup of sour milk needed, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1-1/3 cup total liquid; stir. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes before using it in a recipe.
Creamy White Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening, vanilla, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar. Gradually add milk until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. Makes about 3 cups.
White Confetti Cake
- In a large bowl, beat butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each. Add flour mixture and buttermilk or sour milk* alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Stir in multicolored nonpareils. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour two 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pans; set pans aside. Stir together all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; cool completely on racks. Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Fishbowl Cake)
- Per serving:
- 656 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 22 mg chol.,
- 165 mg sodium,
- 103 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 87 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet