Cherry Cassata Torte
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a serrated knife, cut pound cake into ten 1/2-inch slices. Drizzle slices with kirsch. Arrange some of the cake around side of a 9-inch springform pan. Arrange remaining cake on bottom of pan, cutting to fit; set aside.
- For filling, in a large bowl combine cream cheese, ricotta cheese, the 3/4 cup sugar, and flour. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add eggs; beat just until combined. Stir in 1/4 cup of the chopped chocolate pieces, 1/3 cup of the almonds, and the dried cherries. Pour into cake-lined pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a 1-1/2-inch area around outside edge appears set and center appears nearly set when gently shaken. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Using a knife, loosen edge of torte from side of pan. Remove side of pan; cool on rack for 1 hour. Cover loosely and chill for 6 to 24 hours.
- To serve, in a medium microwave-safe bowl microwave 1/3 cup of the cream, uncovered, on 100-percent power (high) for 30 to 60 seconds or until bubbly. Stir in remaining chocolate until melted. Spoon over top of cake. Sprinkle with remaining almonds.
From the Test Kitchen
If you prefer, substitute a mixture of 2 tablespoons melted strawberry jam and 1 tablespoon vanilla for the kirsch.
Nutrition Facts (Cherry Cassata Torte)
- Per serving:
- 624 kcal cal.,
- 43 g fat
- (23 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 13 g monounsatured fat),
- 174 mg chol.,
- 217 mg sodium,
- 50 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 38 g sugar,
- 12 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet