- Makes: 12 servings
- Yields: About 42
- Prep: 1 hr
- Freeze: 6 hrs to 8 hrs
- Bake: 350° according to package
Cheeseburger-Ice Cream Cake
package 2-layer-size yellow cake mix
cup white decorative sprinkles
1 3/4 quart container chocolate ice cream
cup flaked coconut
Green food coloring
Purchased yellow fondant
Pound Cake Fries (see recipe below)
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for 8-inch layers. Cool in pans for 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely. Very lightly brush one of the layers with water and sprinkles to resemble sesame seeds. Place layers on a tray or baking sheet and freeze until firm.
- Meanwhile, line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with waxed paper; set aside. Place ice cream in a large bowl and stir until softened. Spoon ice cream into prepared springform pan; spread evenly. Cover ice cream with the plastic wrap and freeze until firm.
- For "lettuce", place coconut in a resealable plastic bag. Add green food coloring, a few drops at a time, and mix in bag to achieve a green color; set aside. For "cheese", roll yellow fondant to about 1/16-inch thick. Have a spatula handy to loosen the fondant periodically from your surface as you roll it. Use a pizza cutter to cut into an 8- to 9-inch square; set aside.
- To assemble, place plain cake layer on a serving plate. Remove sides of springform pan and remove plastic wrap and waxed paper. Place on top of cake layer on plate. If necessary, trim 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the edges of ice cream layer if it hangs over too much. Top with "cheese" and "lettuce." Add remaining cake layer, sprinkled side up. Return to freezer for at least one hour until firm.
- If desired, serve with Pound Cake "Fries." Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Pound Cake "Fries"
Nonstick cooking spray
10 3/4 ounce frozen pound cake, thawed
teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil; lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Cut pound cake into 1/4-inch thick slices, then cut each slice into 3 "fries." Spread evenly on prepared baking sheet. Mix together sugar and cinnamon. Lightly coat pound cake with nonstick cooking spray then sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Toss carefully to coat; spread in an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Cool before serving. Makes about 42.